Monday, September 24, 2007

To CAD or not to CAD

I desperately want to say a 4 lettered profanity. But I shall maintain the self-imposed decorum of my blog. Oh f*** it all!! F***. F***.(Censored by author's conscience).

Folks, I'd like to tell you all a story. A story of a boy with glasses and unkempt hair. No... not Harry Potter. @#$@^ Go to JKRowling's blog if you want his story. Obviously I'm referring to ME. Long long ago, when I was a mechanical engineer, I used to make Computer Aided Design software like AutoCAD and ProE beg for mercy. I used spit at them "Render parts...!! Join B-Spline curves..!!" Little did I know the anguish my words caused them.

Years later, I became a software engineer. Ya.. That is sad. But let's not digress. And my boss said "Rahul, you were a mechie (in your last avatar) right? Go make a design software." I turned around and there they were grinning at me, the hunger for revenge written all over them. ProE, AutoCAD and many others which I hadn't even heard of....... Now, like an aircraft mechanic, I'm required to repair these buggers and make them work better.

Folks, let me just conclude before I start crying. Everytime you click on that innocuous 'render' button, a million pieces of code run around to get executed. And I'm the traffic cop who gets trampled in the process.
Moral of the story is: If you really like Rahul... no wait... if you're not blind.... don't buy/use/encourage the use/sell design software. And never ever press the 'render' button.(Ok... This is quite obvious... when Rahul is sitting somewhere writing code for the 'render' button, you know better than to even touch it.)

It's 1925 here in IT world and this screen is literally begging for a baseball bat. Horrors await me beyond the ALT + TAB. Friends, give me courage to.... No.. wait a minute.... if you're really my friends.... just give me another job....

2 comments:

  1. The movie Godfather opens with the line "Revenge is a Dish best served when cold." . So looks like Don Cad is having all the nasty grins it can get from your plight.
    Going by previous experiences,I hope the rahulji processor has speed up a bit to match with the ever changing world of software programming.
    And by the way,if you hear tell that your company lost a multi million dollor software deal ,better run and hide because the chances are it might have happened due to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Raghavan
    hmm... you're right. I can see the headlines...

    "Multi-$ deal lost. IT company goes bankrupt. Fires and sues Ravi(name changed), a programmer who switched off a server thinking it was the AC."

    ReplyDelete