Monday, November 07, 2005

Days of our lives

It all began the day we arrived back from the vacation. We were room hunting.
Roomie: Let's take this one raa...its clean and has a locational advantage over the others.
Ya. You see, when the Nazis infiltrate our building then, owing our room's superior locational advantage over the others, we'll be the only ones to survive. Also, we can get to the bathrooms faster which is very important as anyone with a healthy apetite and an unco-operative stomach lining will know.
Me: Absolutely......and the ventilation...!!! Good call man.
You shud see our room. There was NO WAY any light, Visible or IR or UV or even a ruby LASER cud touch any surface within. NASA could've avoided that Kalpana Chawla episode, had they used our windows on the shuttle's underside. Vitamin C deficiency, here I come.

(((((((((5 weeks later))))))))))
0715 hrs------->>>>>>>>>>>>>
The cell alarms start to ring....both my roomie's and mine.....along with the my comp's alarm....they sing a melancholy strain...."Open thee dreamy eyelids...and look outside....thou shalt see....its so fresh...and so mellow.....its lecturetime"
I lift up my head enuf to hibernate my comp and throw my cell into a drawer(its a NOKIA 3315...it'll survive).My roomie is more car(eful)ing. He mutes it with a pillow. And with the silence of the lambs, we drift back into sleep.
0740 hrs------->>>>>>>>>>>>
Some curious nosy Parker who has equated "Waking people up" and "Social service" comes in and jerks us awake. I rub my eyes and think what a nice milkman this guy wud make. Coming out of the room, I see a procession of pilgrims going towards Kasi, all their problems have simple solutions:morning ablutions........u get the picture
0755 hrs------------>>>>>>>>>>
I am wolfing down breakfast with no time to wonder what it is.
Mr perfect mechanical engineer(call him MPME) who is leaving the mess, casually remarks:"The weather is fine today. Rust process will be reduced by 27%. By the way, we have to design class today so get your charts." I look around the table and see my branchmates faces. Malicious|Smug|Resigned|Blissfully ignorant(OGPA = 8 and struggling for more|8 and happy|7 and stopped trying|6 and indifferent respectively)

0830 hrs----------->>>>>>>>>>>>
We are in Drawing hall sitting on high stools like in a bar. After a sincere 1/2 an hour tryin to figure out what to do...I join a gathering of people and discuss the topic of the day: Bush's policies, the Profs daughter..etc etc
0950 hrs------------->>>>>>>>>>
I hastily add 5 or 6 lines to my drawing, seriously look at my work and then call a guy to have a look at it. We both laugh at the fat lady that I wanna pretend is a flywheel. Then we pack.....time toe.
1055 hrs-------------->>>>>>>>>
Some jerk jerks me awake in the nick of time. I say a strong "Yes Sir" in a deep baritone. Class over. 3 down 1 to go.
1210 hrs------------->>>>>>>>>>
Prof: So, this flow analysis technique has several advantages...blah blah and some more blah.....
Im poring over my book.....Ludlum's action is pretty fast paced.
Benchmate: Arey whats ur top score in snake? I got a 1120 just now.
Me: Huh..what? Abey...don't disturb man....listen to the prof or somethin...
5 benches to the north .i.e. in the first bench.
GMAT1: Sir, if the fluid flow is not in 1D then how can we assume?
GMAT2: arey, the Stoke's law's combination with Bernoulli clearly explains it...blah blah and some more blah....
Prof: Yes, thats right. In fact, why don't u take down this assignment on 1D flow.
Everyone groans but they hang on to the filmy shred of hope that Prof didn't give a deadline.
GMAT1: Sir, when shud we submit it, next class......@%#!#%@!!!
1315 hrs----------->>>>>>>>>>
Im asleep, catching up on the sleep lost during the morning(Reason: Had breakfast today). MPME passes the room while going to the mess.
MPME: All guyz completed ur HMT assignment i hope. Today is last day for submission.
DAMN. I instantly look at the timetable. First P.Tech, then HMT. Relief washes all over me and I put a few A4 sheets into my bag. That taken care off, I go back to slumber.
1615 hrs------------>>>>>>>>
I return after a gruelling day and head towards Dhaiyya. Some tea, singhadas(bihari for piping hot samosas) and 2 hrs later, im revived and rejuvenated.
1830 hrs------------->>>>>>>
I switch on my pc. 10 minutes and (sh)it happened. My roomie's UPS wails like a banshee falling from the top of a tower. His UPS heralds the coming of the low voltage. Barely 2 minutes later, a loud cacophony of electronic beeps is heard all over the wing. My darling Stabilizer....I Love U
2045 hrs-------------->>>>>>>
My friends call me. I hibernate my pc and go for dinner. After Gamerboy(name changed for health reasons) redefines fast food and Pubboy's(name changed) drawn out meal campaign, I return to some Q time on my pc.
0240 hrs------------>>>>>>>
I hear my roomie's light snore and realise he's asleep. I too buy tickets for dreamtheatre. 15 seconds later, I wake up and recall the most important thing. Nope....not an assignment. Nope...not a test. I silently set the alarms on my pc and cell.

Ya ya....i know what u skeptics are thinking....but u just wait and see....i'm gonna do that alarm justice one of these days.......one of these days...........

No comments:

Post a Comment