Saturday, November 12, 2005

Dea(r)th of love

DEATH. I have never seen death nor have I experienced the loss of a relative. So I have no idea what I will feel (if and)when that happens. I cannot pretend it will never happen in my lifetime. But I have never really thought about it at all because it isn't something anyone likes to think about. I learnt of an incident. These are the facts: A boy loved a girl. She did not reciprocate. He committed suicide. His mother cried in front of the entire college. His father was angry that his son left them. The girl felt guilty and committed suicide.
It made me think. When we love someone, what is the depth of that feeling? Should it be so deep that if rejected, we have no reason to live? If it isn't that deep then does its shallowness indicate a hypocrisy? What truly is love? Is it justified to forsake our parents and die for love? Was the girl really guilty of something? Did she die because of him or because of some wrong mental attitude of her own? Was I wrong when I defined LOVE in a previous post?
Consider this case:
I love A. Then A's actions/reactions will affect me. How they affect me is upto me....right? If A is affected by what happens to me, then my love for A binds A to me and narrows A's emotional reaction range. Without A's choice I affected A's life and actions.
My point here being.......what if you or I were A. We are now controlled(so to speak) by another person. Is that acceptable? Should it be acceptable? I don't know.

After a brief look at what I wrote down above...I think I can wade across this emotional swamp of mine.
LOVE? This is how it must be.
I love her passionately. The feeling of "loving that girl" is the only thing that matters to me. I love the way she looks, thinks, reacts.....Period. I expect nothing from her. Neither acknowledgement nor reciprocation. It is she who will decide her feelings towards me. As far as I am concerned, the only bond between me and her is the feeling of my love for her that I will carry within me. That's all. This is the depth of my love.

Now my questions can be answered.
The depth of love is total. Rejection or approval do not matter at all. The girl died because she felt guilt. The only thing she was guilty of was self-betrayal because the guilt was her own mental creation. So, she was solely responsible for her death.
And yes. I was wrong before. Actually I was inconsistent. My definition of LOVE included the other person which it shouldn't have......because the self-sufficiency I wrote about implicitly includes LOVE in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment